Chakra Adventure and Wellness Retreat
Join us for a 7 day adventure and yoga retreat in the mountains and on the beaches of Costa Rica.
Join us for a week in paradise for an incredible, once in a life time adventure. We combine yoga and adventure to create the perfect retreat where there is something for everyone. It takes place at our off the grid Eco Lodge in the mountains where you will connect deeper with yourself, the people around you and nature.
Relax, unwind and disconnect as you practice yoga, relax in hammocks and listen to the sounds of nature. Excite, challenge and push yourself as we hike to secluded waterfalls and mountain tops, look for rare species of birds, climb trees and repel rocks and waterfalls.
It’s time to take that leap and join us on an epic adventure! We have opened this retreat to everyone, of all fitness levels because there is something here for everyone to enjoy!
Five days at our private Eco-lodge nestled between 2 national parks in the mountains of Costa Rica, Chirripo National Park and La Amistad International Park, which is shared with Panama.
You are sleeping in a treehouse of three walls with the fourth wall open to the jungle with more stars than you can even count above. Every day you will nourish your body with home cooked, local and healthy food, drink pure natural spring water, enjoy hot showers by candle light and flush toilets with a view.
Two days follow in the beautiful, relaxed beach town of Dominical in a beach front hotel.
Mountain – Hiking to waterfalls & mountain tops, climbing trees, rappelling waterfalls & rocks, rock climbing, sunrise flow yoga & restorative candle light yoga mediation, natural spa activities, hammock relaxing time, connection with yourself, others and nature and plenty of time for relaxation.
Beach – Surfing, visiting Uvita national park, slack lining, stand up paddling & beach time!
- February 25-March 3rd 2018 (Sold out)
- March 4-10th 2018 (6 spots left)
- March 18-24th 2018 (5 spots left)
- November 10-16th 2018 (4 spots)
OR: Choose your own date. We operate on a 6 person minimum basis. Email Hailey@runlikeagirl.ca for custom trips. Kids are welcome on custom trips!
For anyone and everyone who is looking to get away from the craziness of everyday life, relax deeply, recharge fully and challenge yourself to try new things in one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. Challenge yourself, step outside your comfort zone, experience personal growth and try new things.
If you want to disconnect from the outside world, get your feet dirty and reconnect with nature. If you want to connect with yourself and others on a deeper level. If you want to experience a truly unique and unforgettable experience at a private, eco mountain lodge that you won’t experience in any other way. If you want to travel with a purpose, to give a true gift to yourself, to give time back to a impoverished community, and spend a week having very little impact on mother earth.
Trail Running Retreats: For those of us who are avid runners with an intermediate to advance running and fitness base! We expand ourselves from hiking the trails to running them! Join us for a faster pace group setting!
Couples Retreats: Open to couples who want to experience the magic of Chakra Lodge and Costa Rica with their significant other. Join us for the same itinerary as our other retreats but with more of an emphasis on couple bonding and activities!
“Amazing things happen when strangers become friends.”
“I’m so proud of everyone for overcoming fears and accomplishing so much out there, physically and spiritually. Chakra has been a life changing experience and I’m eternally grateful for the love, support and experience from our adventure. I’ve made some life long friends and will forever hold Chakra Lodge in my heart”
—Kerry Eiss, March 2016
“So many firsts on this trip, first waterfall rappel, first 30k hike to 3200m, first slack line.. I could go on. Thank you to the entire RLAG team – you are all phenomenal! Talk about a giant step out of my comfort zone, but the rewards have been more than I could have ever dreamed. Amazing things happen when strangers become friends.”
–Jessica Schulz, November 2017
At least two of the Run Like a Girl team will be on retreat with you! Find out more about us on the Meet the Team page.
As well as the RLAG team, Eduardo Baldioceda and Maria Fernanda will be on the adventure!
- Eduardo Baldioceda
– Owner and Operator
I am extremely passionate about adventure, and nature and specifically nature conservation. I am a biologist by trade and I love sharing my passion and knowledge with others. I have done countless adventure races and am happiest outdoors. I am so happy to share this project in life and love with my wife Hailey.
- Maria Fernanda
– Yoga instructor and armotherapist
I will facilitate a daily yoga flow, she will guide the interconnection or relationship we will experience with nature and the elements through a multi level practice. We will also learn about Yoga Sense, which is a way to come together with each asana through the recognition of our senses, primarily our sense of smell. The olfactory memory, most powerful sense; allows reconnecting with our being in deep levels. The powerful information of plants preserved as organic essential oils are released in the air in key moments of the flow so we can access a blissful practice. We will transcend and become one with nature’s teachings.
Click on each day to reveal the adventures you will have during the retreat.
- Please be ready in the lobby of the Best Western Hotel at 6:00am with all your gear. We will pick everyone up here and travel onward to San Jeronimo.
- Please wear active wear and your hiking/trail shoes as we are hiking in the 5km to the lodge.
- Please bring a day pack because all of your luggage will be traveling in a separate car to Chakra Lodge since we make a stop in San Jeronimo for our coffee tour early afternoon.
- When we arrive in San Jeronimo, we will connect with the local community and start our coffee tour. If you are a coffee lover, you will grow a serious appreciation for your cup of joe!
- Lunch will be made by the coffee tour guide, Freddy’s wife, at their home in San Jeronimo. This will be a very typical Costa Rican meal, as will most from now on!
- The 5km hike is on a rural dirt road with 400m/1300ft elevation gain. It is a steep and challenging hike, however everyone can do it… trust me… and its our first challenge of the week. (Don’t worry, all your luggage will have been already delivered to the lodge, you just need to carry in your day pack!)
- When we arrive at Chakra Lodge we will start with a retreat welcome and lodge tour before settling into your rooms.
- Our first yoga class will take place at 5:30-6:30: Restorative yoga and mediation
- Dinner will follow
- After dinner will we have time to relax and talk about the activities for the next day.
- We will start our morning with Sunrise flow yoga, 6:00-7:00am
- Breakfast to follow: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
- We have two options for activities today: San Miguel Valley hike or a guided nature walk.
- San Miguel Valley hike. It is 11km with 700m/2300ft elevation gain. The trail is steep to start and mellows out as we approach the San Miguel Valley. We will hike to the big rock, then down a ridge to view the amazing San Miguel Waterfall and then back up to a hut for a snack and water refill.
- Guided nature walk option: 4km hike with certified tropical biologist includes bird watching, animal spotting, plant identification and more. This a perfect way to spend the morning!
- We will have lunch back at the lodge
- Our afternoon will be free time to explore, relax by the river, swim in the waterfall pool, shower, relax in hammocks, read… this is your time!
- Evening yoga: 5:30-6:30 Restorative yoga and mediation
- Dinner will follow
- Free time after dinner to relax and discuss the next days activities.
- We will begin our day with sunrise flow yoga at 6:00am – 7:00am
- Breakfast: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
- Please be ready to leave for our Chakra play ground at 8:30 so we can take full advantage of our adventure day!
- Once at the top of the waterfall we split the group in half.
- 6 people will be with Eduardo for rappelling lessons, 6 will be with Hailey and Courtney tree climbing and then we will switch activities!
- You may bring your camera but our photographer will be there to capture the fun!
- We supply everyone with harnesses, gloves, rappelling devices and helmets
- Once everyone has rappelled the waterfall we return to the lodge for lunch.
- Our afternoon will be free time
- Evening yoga: 5:30-6:30 Restorative yoga and mediation
- Dinner will follow
- Evening will include briefing on tomorrow‘s big hike! We encourage an early night tonight as we’ve got a big day tomorrow!
- Please be down at the main platform at 5:00 with your bags packed and ready to go.
- We will serve breakfast- eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast
- Lunch prep – food is provided but you get to make your own sandwich/burrito. This is going to be a long day out on the trail please make sure there is enough food packed for yourself including snacks and water.
- Your hydration pack needs to carry a bladder of at least 1.5 liters. There are 3 water refill spots today.
- Electrolytes are important as the day can get hot & humid. Please bring your own but we will also have some. (We will go over nutrition and hydration in detail the night before.)
Cerro Ena Summit 3200m Above sea level (32km/21 miles, 2200m/7200ft elevation gain)
- To summit Ena an intermediate fitness level will be required. For your own personal safety we do need to make sure that you can complete this distance within a time frame of 12hours.
- Our first stop is Tiger Rock, an orange and black, impressively large rock. This is 6km in to the hike an awesome summit with 360-degree views of surrounding mountains
- Continuing from the base of Tiger Rock, we continue our 30km (round trip) trek. It is advanced trek due to the varied, steep and difficult terrain passing through 3 different Rainforest Life Zones (Premontane, Montaneand Paramo above the tree line) with an elevation gain of over 2000m/7000 feet.
- Approximate activity time: 8-12 hours
- Running shoes/hiking shoes (trail running shoes are the best option) are a must for today.
- The group will all meet at the summit of the mountain. Group photos, lunch etc.
- We will head back at your own pace, however please make sure you are with a one of us at all times!
- Immediately upon return we will have a recovery smoothie and stretching
Chirripo Lookout Summit (20km/12.5 miles, 1100m/3600ft elevation gain)
- A middle distance, amazing lookout summit for those wanting to push themselves beyond tiger rock and not take up their whole day
- Once we reach the lookout we stop and have lunch and enjoy the views
- This hike takes place along the same trail as the Summit of Ena however we turn around to make a loop/lollypop hike at one of the lookouts
- Approximate activity time 6-8 hours
Tiger Rock Summit (12km/7.5 miles, 700m/2300ft elevation gain)
- Any fitness level can tackle this summit! It is an amazing summit with 360-degree views of the surrounding mountains and Chakra Lodge.
- Once we reach the summit we stop for lunch take in the views and take photos etc.
- We can take anywhere from 3.5 – 7 hours for this day. Depends on your fitness level and how much relaxing we want to do at the summit.
- As soon as we are back at the lodge we have a recovery shake and stretch. Then free time until dinner
- Tonight we will serve wine and enjoy a campfire since it is our last night at Chakra Lodge.
- Sunrise flow Yoga at 6:30-7:30am (Since we will be sore from Ena, this will be a very relaxed class)
- Breakfast: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
- Pack up and leave camp (We do ask that you bring down your bedding to the main platform but our staff will take down the rest!)
- We will hike out from the Lodge back to San Jeronimo to complete our community project and then get back in our bus.
- Our luggage will be driven down the bus while we hike.
- The drive to Dominical beach is approx. 2.5 hours
- We will check into the Duiwak hotel and everyone can settle into their rooms
- This is a free afternoon for you to explore the town and the beach. There are local shops, delicious resturants and vendors along the beach to buy souvenirs and awesome things! The beach is beautiful. If you have surfing experience, you can rent a board!
- Please note that todays lunch and dinner are not included but we will make recommendations!
- You may have breakfast on your own time. It is continental at the hotel.
- Please be ready to leave hotel at 9:00am. Today you will need water, sun block, bathing suit, towel.. ect. Today is our beach adventure day!
- We will shuttle to Uvita National Park for a nature tour and walk in the Park.
- We will rent SUP boards here for people to try and offer lessons to those who have never done it before!
- We will have lunch in Uvita town
- We will shuttle back to Domincal for one last Costa Rican sunset!
- We will have dinner and hopefully some dancing!
- Group farewells
- We will have already coordinated shuttles back to San Jose based on everyone’s flight times.
- We offer two free shuttles back to the airport. Please make sure you email us your departure time!
- Flights after 12:00pm work best for shuttles.
- Breakfast at the hotel, continental
- Morning beach/relaxing time if you have a later flight
For anyone wanting to stay longer or come earlier:
Please email Eduardo@realcostaricavacations.com for other activities, accommodations and information.
Register for this retreat!
This incredible experience is $2250.00 USD which includes:
- All transportation in Costa Rica
- Staying at a private, Eco lodge nestle between two national parks
- All Food at Chakra, 3 daily home cooked meals and snacks
- All Accommodations
- All of the scheduled activities
- All gear use
- Local guides
- Run Like A Girl expertise and advice
- Daily yoga classes with a certified yoga instructor
- Yoga mat use
- Lessons on all activities
- A community service project
- Guided coffee tour
- Most meals during beach portion
- National Park entrance fee
- Guided nature walks and Costa Rican Cooking classes
- Airport shuttle upon departure
Questions, want to join us but need more info? Email: Hailey@runlikeagirl.ca
For questions related to gear and packing Email: Courtney@runlikeagirl.ca
Why should you come on this adventure?
- You do not need to be an experienced, advanced or fast runner.
- We have a Challenge by Choice Motto
- You don’t need any experience in scheduled activities, come as you are.
- Hiking or trekking are always optional, there are multiple options and no one will ever be left behind.
- We will be with you at your athletic level
- A yoga mat and blocks are supplied
- Bedding, pillows, blankets, a towel for showering and a mosquito net are supplied
- We have meal options for all types including vegan and vegetarian.
- Accommodations at Chakra Lodge are double occupancy tree houses with one wall open to the jungle. We are very connected to nature during this retreat!
- There are 2 flush toilets, 2 hot showers, a fully functional kitchen, large yoga deck, dinning room and relaxation space and 5 tree houses at our lodge.
- While in the mountains you are staying on our own private property, and an eco-lodge where we are trying to keep our carbon foot print as small as possible! Our lodge is essentially off the grid, no cell phones, no wifi, no electricity, be prepared to disconnect from every day life and connect with nature, it is a beautiful thing!
- The lodge was entirely built by hand. Over 80% of the land of Chakra has been donated back to reforestation and conservation.
- Our lodge will be fully set up and taken down by our staff. We work with incredible local people from San Jeronimo that cook and clean for us everyday (you just get to relax and have fun)
Please click to expand.
A: You will need to land in San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) the day before your retreat starts. From the airport you can take a taxi or the Best Western has a free shuttle after 5pm to the hotel. I always use search engine websites to find the best deals on flights!
Q: I’m over 50, am I too old for this retreat? The women in your photos look very young.
A: The typical age range of women who attend these retreats is 20 – 40, however we have had women 50-65 years old come. We create a loving, inclusive environment no matter your age. What’s more important for your safety and comfort is your physical condition. These retreats, although a challenge by choice motto, are very active and we will be immersed in the natural elements. Are you able to do a 5km hike up to our lodge? Are you up for doing yoga twice a day? Are you open minded to try out adventure activities? What does your body say? If you need a more gentle retreat this may not be the right experience for you.
Q: Will there be free time?
A: Yes! Free time is very important and we want you to be able to explore our property, curl up in a hammock and read a book, or take time to journal and take in all your experiences from the day.
Q: I want to come, but I’m concerned about the cost. Do I have options?
A: Our retreat is unique and a rare experience. You will be travelling somewhere that not many people get the opportunity to go to. We have made the retreat as affordable as possible. We offer customized payment plans and break the full payment up into 3 parts. A $495 nonrefundable deposit is required to reserve your spot and we will do two additional payments 4-6 months ahead of time.
Q: I’m still not sure. Can I contact you with questions?
A: Please!! I am even open to talking on the phone!! Sometimes getting your question out by talking is the best way! Send me an email..Hailey@runlikeagirl.ca
- We have two local cooks for all your meals and Chakra
- The camp will be fully set up and took down by our staff (you just get to relax and have fun)
- We have two local Costa Rica guides
- Two or more of the RLAG girls will be there
- We have a certified yoga instructor
- We provide yoga mats and essentials
- Mosquito nets and sleeping mats are provided, please bring your own sleeping bag
- Platforms have roofs and three walls
- We have a gas stove
- Local, handmade essential oils will be used during yoga and available to purchase
- No service or wifi
- No electricity
- Hot showers, flush toilets, and sinks with water
- All of us are first-aid and CRP-C trained, Eduardo has first-responder wilderness first-aid training
- Clothes you don’t mind getting dirty
- running shoes, hiking shoes
- clothing essentials
- a hydration backpack (1.5L bladder capacity minimum please)
- snacks, granola bars etc, sport food you like
- camera (waterproof good idea)
- sunscreen, bug spray etc.
- sleeping bag or bedding blanket and pillow
- trekking poles (optional)
- swim suit
- optional to bring own yoga mat (we do supply)
- yoga clothes
- Shoes to wear around camp (crocs, sandals, boots)
*** A gear guide is provided when you register
- First night of hotel upon arrival to Costa Rica at the Best Western (we require everyone to come the night before as the retreat starts early the next morning)
- Your flight
- Bringing your own additional snack foods
- Spending money for souvenirs etc.
- 1 dinner and 1 lunch during the beach portion
-Additional payments are refundable in an emergency situation but your deposit will not be.
-If you must cancel your registration for a retreat, you are able to roll over 100% of your fees paid to another retreat within one calendar year of your original sign up date.
-Payment plan is 2 additional payments after initial deposit.
-Payments will be made 4-6 months ahead of time from the retreat start date and will be sent out as invoices from PayPal.
– All activities listed in the itinerary are subject to change due to weather and natural occurrences, however if one activity is removed another will be in its place.